AMD Opteron processor highlights from the latest Top500 Supercomputer Sites list include:
· For the third straight time, the AMD Opteron processor helps power the number one “Roadrunner” supercomputer;
· The Cray “Jaguar” supercomputer based on Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors at Oak Ridge National Labs is number two;
· AMD is utilized in nine of the top 20 supercomputers, more than any other processor provider;
· Four of the top 10 supercomputers use AMD Opteron processors;
· The AMD Opteron processor powers 20 Cray supercomputers, including six in the top 25;
· The recently launched Six-Core AMD Opteron processor (formerly code-named “Istanbul”) has already appeared in two Cray XT5 supercomputers;
· The top two academic research supercomputers are based on Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors – “Kraken” at the University of Tennessee is number six and “Ranger” at the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) is number eight.
The semi-annual Top500 Supercomputer Sites list determines its rankings based on the LINPACK benchmark. Recently, Advanced Clustering Technologies published LINPACK scores based on the Six-Core AMD Opteron processor which demonstrate a remarkable cost-per-GFLOP of $35.21.
Cray "Jaguar" System at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Del med dine venner