Which high end gaming notebook to buy with 1080 SLI

• I would ask why you would want a gaming laptop with 2 x 1080 in SLI... but I suppose that's none of my business... :p

I would, however, suggest you instead go for one of the Asus high-end Gaming laptops instead, rocking a single GTX 1070 or 1080, with a 120Hz screen instead.

you won't be seeing any difference on a 60Hz FullHD screen, between 1 and 2 x GTX 1080, but having a 120Hz screen instead, would give you a "notably" difference, as you won't be capped to just 60 FPS.

for 1080p gaming, all you need is a GTX 1060, so even a GTX 1070 at that resolution would normally be considered more than you need, for an avg. of 60 FPS.

this means you will be playing with 60+ fps already with a GTX 1070 (but if the monitor can't show you more than this anyway...)

https://www.asus.com/us/site/g…s/#/products/laptops/g701

https://www.asus.com/us/site/g…ducts/laptops/gl502-gl702

The G701 would be the extreme machine, rocking an unlocked intel core i7 Extreme CPU - 6820k or 7820k, with 32-64GB RAM, 1 TB NVe SSD and a GTX 1080 with a 17,3" FHD 120Hz monitor.

the GL502 and GL702 are slimmer editions, still rocking a GTX 1080, and a 15,6" or 17,3" Full HD 120Hz monitor, but with a "normal" core i7 7700HQ, 16 GB of RAM, and 256 GB SSD + 1TB HDD

if money = no issue, which I suppose, when you're asking for a dual GTX 1080 laptop, I would go with the G701.

Intel core i7 4790k OC'ed 4,7 GHz, cooled by Corsair H110i

4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2133MHz CL9 RAM

Asus ROG Maximus vii ranger

Asus GTX 1070 OC'd @ 2000 MHz

Corsair 750W PSU

• Thanks for your suggestion, currently I use ASUS GL502 with GTX1060 now, everything is fine, but it drops the frequency sometimes when the temperature getting higher.
    I bought a VIVE for my kids and tried VR games in house, seems like my GL502 can't run VR well, since the thermal dissipation issue.
    How about the cooling system comparison between MSI GT83VR and ASUS G701?
    I don't want my kids get a confirmation gift but not happy about it... :(

• Have you considering building a real desktop case (a small mATX/ITX sized one) instead? You get much better thermal performance, and it'll be cheaper than a proper laptop, if the goal is VR.

They are also infinitely easier to repair - Even the smallest part in a laptop will often cost a trip back to the factory and replacement of larger parts, costing you thousands of DKK a time.

Cyberduck
    | Lian Li PC-O11DXL | ASRock PG Velocita B550 | Ryzen 5600X | 4x8GB TridentZ Royal RGB @3600 Mhz | RTX 3080 | Seasonic Platinum 750W | 4T NVME, 1TB NVME | 6TB WD RED HDD | Vandkøling fra EK |

• No, I think I will still look for a Laptop , since I live in an small apartment, and I'm too old to "building-up" my own PC...
    I saw some comparison of cooling system on website, I think I will change my ASUS to MSI this time to see the differences, but can't decide which model to choose with. MSI GT73VR ,GT72VR GS73VR, GE73VR, GP72VR...... Can anyone know why MSI has so many different models, so confusing ..which one is perfect for VR?

• Thanks for your suggestion, currently I use ASUS GL502 with GTX1060 now, everything is fine, but it drops the frequency sometimes when the temperature getting higher.
    I bought a VIVE for my kids and tried VR games in house, seems like my GL502 can't run VR well, since the thermal dissipation issue.
    How about the cooling system comparison between MSI GT83VR and ASUS G701?
    I don't want my kids get a confirmation gift but not happy about it... :(

hmm, well, tbh, I would suggest a desktop as well, as you can build a pretty nice one, absolutely strong enough cheaper.

in regards to the cooling, from what I know, the GL 502 could jump all the way up to 92 degrees or above, even, and compared to that, the G701 does indeed run quite a bit cooler.

I haven't ever had the chance to test the G701 myself (yet... I'm dying to get my hands on one, and try stuff out), but from what I've read...

here are just two reviews in english

- http://www.notebookcheck.net/A…book-Review.169611.0.html
    (Search for "Temperature" to find the section - this is the previous model running the GTX 980, but that card did run slightly hotter than the 1070 and 1080, if I remember correctly - in any case, the 1080 wouldn't in the same laptop wouldn't run much hotter.

- under max load, appears to stay pretty decent.

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-rog-g701vi

- this is the GTX 1080 model - now, I know the guy only did 15 min of Batman arkham knight, which is not anywhere near a proper, usable temp benchmark, but he's recording even lower temps on the GTX 1080 model.

now, Tweaktown is a proper, and well known site.
    http://www.tweaktown.com/revie…tebook-review/index8.html

- they, too, are staying with pretty low temps.

Personally, from what I've seen, I've been pretty impressed - I know they worked a lot on airflow and cooling, in the later models, but I really didn't ever expect this low temps in a laptop - ever.

again, I was a bit sceptical myself, and I know I'll need to really fire up everything on one and take the temps myself... also, they're mostly taking external temps and not really recording core temps as much, so... idk... I would really like one and test it out myself and see for myself..

but as mentioned, I do know Asus has been working a lot on the best possible airflow in a laptop etc - I can't seem to find much right now, but I did see a lot of stuff about them showing off the crazy stuff back upon release etc.

Intel core i7 4790k OC'ed 4,7 GHz, cooled by Corsair H110i

4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2133MHz CL9 RAM

Asus ROG Maximus vii ranger

Asus GTX 1070 OC'd @ 2000 MHz

Corsair 750W PSU